A thick and hearty vegetarian sweet potato and chickpea stew made with creamy coconut milk. Serve with brown rice for a cozy Autumn meal.
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil
- 1 medium or large onion
- 4 cloves garlic or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional for some heat
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cans (15 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 2 cans (15 oz.) chickpeas
- 1 large sweet potato, cubed
- 1 can light coconut milk* (or half a can of full-fat coconut milk diluted with half a can of water)
- 2 cups spinach, tightly packed
- In a medium or large pot, sauté onion in cooking oil. Add garlic, curry powder, chili powder, cayenne pepper, and salt while it’s cooking.
- Once onion is soft and translucent, add diced tomatoes, chickpeas, sweet potato cubes, and coconut milk.
- Bring liquid to a boil, reduce heat to low, and cook for 35-50 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are soft.
- While stew is lightly simmering, cook quinoa or rice, if using.
- When sweet potatoes are soft, run a potato masher through the stew and mash just a bit to thicken it up. Add chopped spinach and wait a few minutes for spinach to wilt.
Find your TRIB3 today for a complimentary session!Sign Up